Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Podcasting in language learning

Podcasting is different from traditional broadcasting. It doesn't depend on satellites or radio towers. We don't need to wait for the exact time to watch the shows. All we need is to access to the internet. When new shows are created, they will come straightly to our terminals like computers, pads or cellphones. when we see the shows that we like, simply by subscribing them, then we can watch new episodes right after they come out. I subscribed the TEDTalk on my iPad, and I can watch the new episode whenever I want. It is very convenient for entertainment and personal life. Moreover it can also be very useful in language teaching and learning.

I tried the EdTechTalk. It usually talks about technology and education. I think it is very user-friendly. The webpage is clear and the description as well as the podcasts are salient.

We can watch the podcasts in the past. Also it allows everyone to participate in an ongoing one. Thus provide a great opportunity for language learners to not only listen, but also speak and really apply the language to discuss some serious topics. It is also well linked with other social networks like Twitter and Facebook.
For my future teaching, if I want to have my students listen or even participate in these shows and we will discuss that topic together in class. I think it is a good way to practice listening and speaking. Moreover, they can get access to many interesting topics.

I also tried Learn Japanese Pod. Since I'm a Japanese learner, I want to see how the podcasting works from a learner's perspective. I find it very useful.


First, I can subscribe it on iTunes, which is convenient. Then the topics are practical. They are all life related. Besides, there are transcripts. Thus can help learners better understand the meaning.

2 comments:

  1. You did some good research by checking out these two different sites. Looking at the Japanese site on which you would be a learner is especially helpful, since as teachers we often forget the "trials and tribulations" of being a student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm personally a big fan of jingcui blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete