Thursday, February 19, 2015

DIIGO vs Pinterest: Two useful websites for language learning


DIIGO is a website famous for it's function of social bookmarking. It allows users to keep track of their favorite websites by tagging which is an efficient function. By searching tags, we can narrow down to a  smaller scale to find the websites we want to look for. 

Tag List
 
My Library

Besides, it's more useful than traditional bookmark on the browser since it allows users to access their favorite websites from any computer. 

Pinterest is a website that offers a visual collection, sharing and storage tool. Boards can be created with items, images and videos being pinned to them. 


I want to compare these two websites through the following questions:


 Questions
DIIGO
Pinterest
Can you highlight text in saved sites?
×
Can you use multiple tags?
Can you copy and paste from original article to appear in comments about site?
×
Can others post comments on your site?

×
Can you follow others?  Can they follow you?
Can you message people you follow?

×
Are you offered suggestions for related articles?

 √
Would you continue to use either of these?  Which?  Why?

Yes! I like the way it creates a network. When I see other people's home pages, it's clearly presented what they have in the libraries. I can benefit others within my community and vice versa.
Yes! I like the visual collection of images and videos since it’s more direct and impressive than words.

Both websites provide the tagging function. For DIIGO, I do find this network useful since I can find what others like and learn from them just by searching their libraries. For Pinterest, I learnt a lot from it such as interesting classroom activities and new ideas about teaching. I feel like in this fast pace world, pictures are more favored by people than words since it's more direct and provide more evidence. Besides, images can offer the real situation rather than imagination from only word description. I find the Pinterest more like a social network like Instagram. However, it's more suitable for learning and sharing information as it provides links to the original resources. In addition, it separates the information by different topics. Thus allows the users to find more related information within one category.

Hope you find these tools useful and interesting. If you have experience of using any of them or other websites you think are useful, share with me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the good review of these sites. It sounds as if you will definitely be using them in the future!

    ReplyDelete